A place wherein this Dwarven Cleric can share his love of maps, dice, miniatures, and all things involving gaming and general geekery--not to mention the occasional witty non-gaming observations--whilst escaping from the humdrum existence of his routine Terran existence.

Hail and Well Met, fellow traveler! May my Stronghold provide a place for enlightenment and amusement, and somewhere to keep your dice dry. Enter and rest awhile.

11 April 2013

[A to Z April] J is for Jade Skull (item)




Aura: Moderate divination; CL: 5th
Slot: None; Price: 30,000 gp; Weight: 11 lbs.

DESCRIPTION


This wondrous item is a replica of a human skull expertly carved from an exquisite piece of solid jade. The skull gives off a subtle glow, even when not in use. There is a slight depression in the top of the skull with a small hole in the very center.

Once per day, the wielder of the skull can apply a small amount of blood--a few drops at the most--into the depression and allow the blood to drip inside the skull. Thereafter, the wielder is able to see through the eyes of the individual from whom the blood was collected for two rounds per caster level. The blood-source is allowed a Will Save to resist the scrying; if the Save is successful, the scrying attempt fails and no scry attempt is allowed on that subject again for at least 24 hours.

The skull amplifies your visual and aural acuity and any magical effects so that your personal visual and aural acuity operates through the subject’s eyes and ears. In addition, the following spells have a 5% chance per caster level of operating through the skull: detect chaos, detect evil, detect good, detect law, detect magic, and message. The skull does not grant the wielder any insight or special knowledge into the thoughts or actions of the subject.

Per the Pathfinder rules for scrying: you can observe through a creature’s eyes at any distance. The difficulty of the save depends on how well your knowledge of the subject and what sort of physical connection (if any) you have to that creature.

Circumstance
Will Save Modifier

No knowledge of the subject
+10

Secondhand knowledge (you have heard of the subject)
+5
Firsthand knowledge (you have met the subject)
+0
Familiar (you know the subject well)

-5
Drop of blood
-10
Subject is on another plane
+5

CONSTRUCTION REQUIREMENTS


Craft Wondrous Item, clairaudience/clairvoyance, scrying; 11 lb. jade block (17,000 gp); Cost: 11,000 gp.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Previous "J"s:
2012: J is for Jalbion’s Liquid Jewel (spell)
2011: J is for Juniper Ale

3 comments:

Wayne Assiratti said...

Hey there. I have put a link to your blog on my post for E on the A - Z Challenge which is for Friday. My son Rocco is picking a number on the linky list at random and I post the link for each day. Hope you don't mind.

By the way. Your blog is COOL. I'm and old school RPG'er and started playing D&D back in the early eighties. Now I have a wife and kids, it's mainly board games. Not the Monopoly kind mind you. Good ones, like Pandemic, Stone Age and all that kind of thing.

Cheers,

W.

Gothridge Manor said...

I like this item. I need to catch up on some of your posts. You seem to post in my blind spot.

For the jade skull in my game I think I would add a progressive success table. Sight being the first level, then onto hearing and so on. The more success the more senses you can engage.

Boric Glanduum said...

@ Wayne: Thanks for stopping by. Of course I don't mind you linking my blog. Come by anytime! I'll have to swing by and take a look at your space.

@ Tim: I purposely wait until my hidden camera shows you're offline, then I post. Honest. Wait...I shouldn't have said that about the camera. Ignore that. And I like the idea of the successive success table. I may work on that too, if you don't mind me stealing your idea.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...