- The adventurers, as guests of the stronghold, are put in the middle of what appears to be an attack on the stronghold. They witness an apparent kidnaping of a Dwarven maiden–the daughter of their host--from the veranda outside her bedchamber by a small group of Duergar.
- The eldest daughter of the Clan Chieftan of the Gravelfoot Stronghold, one Gilifra Gravelfoot, is a stubborn dwarf. Her father has chosen a husband for her; it is to be a marriage of political convenience with the heir of the nearby Darkhold. However, she has other ideas. She has fallen in love with another, but her love is one that would send her father into an apoplectic fit and sink her family and her clan–indeed, possibly even the kingdom–into a grueling war. She has fallen in love with one Rumer Bloodspike: a Duergar Ranger. They met by happenstance three months ago in a nearby mushroom forest and have spent several hours every day in that same forest. Rumer is a rare sort of Duergar indeed, tending toward good rather than the typical evil of his race.
Gilifra’s stubbornness and new-found willfulness has convinced her father to move up the marriage date with the Darkhold heir. Now, with the marriage only a week away, Gilifra and Rumer have decided to elope. Rumer has come with several of his closest friends to steal her away. He is standing below her room, carelessly calling out expressions of love, while she makes some last minute arrangements prior to climbing down from the veranda.
- For the adventurers’ sake, it is hoped that at least one of them will be able to speak Undercommon, the native language of Rumer Bloodspike. He does speak Dwarven and Common as well, but not as fluently, and not without harming his pride. He has three of his closest friends, all 10th-level Duergar fighters, with him to aid in the couple’s escape. The guards of the Gravelfoot Stronghold will be alerted to the couple’s escape within 1d4 rounds of the start of any combat between the adventurers and the Duergar.
The adventurers are guests of Gilifra’s father, whether simple travelers, merchants, or even friends of the Clan. Even if they are able to communicate with the Duergar–that is, if they even stop to consider communicating before attacking–they will still be put in the difficult position of having to choose between loyalty to Gilifra and aiding the stone-crossed couple.
- Notable NPCs:
- Rumer Bloodspike: Ranger 12; Chaotic Good; Init +3; AC 17 (Leather; Heavy Wooden Shield, Bracers of Armor +1); 82 hp; Saves: Fort +9, Ref +11, Will +6; Speed 20; Attack: Pick, Heavy +16 (1d6+4; Crit (20) x4) or Crossbow, hand +16 (1d4+1; Crit (19-20) x2); Full Attack: Pick, heavy +14/9/4 (1d6+4; Crit (20)x4) and Pick, light +11/6 (1d4; Crit (20) x4) or Crossbow, hand +14/14/9/4 (1d4+1; Crit (19-20) x2) range 30; Base Attack/Grapple: 12/13; Abilities: Str 13, Dex 16, Con 13, Int 12, Wis 14, Chr 5; CR 13
- Rumer’s Friends (x3): Duergar Fighter 10; Chaotic Good; Init +3; AC 19 (Chain Shirt); 78 hp; Saves: Fort +9, Ref +6, Will +3; Speed 20; Attack: Warhammer +12 (1d8+2; Crit (19-20) x3) or Hammer, Light thrown (+1 Returning) +15 (1d4+4; Crit (20) x2) Range 20; Base Attack/Grapple: 10/12; Abilities: Str 14, Dex 17, Con 15, Int 12, Wis 11, Chr 5; CR 11
- Gilifra Gravelfoot: Aristrocrat level 5; Lawful Good; Init -1; AC 10 (Padded leather); 27 hp; Saves: Fort +2, Ref +0, Will +5; Speed 20; Attack: Dagger +3 (1d4/19-20) or Rock +2 (1d8); Base Attack/Grapple: 3/3; Abilities: Str 11, Dex 8, Con 12, Int 12, Wis 9, Chr 12; CR 3
This is the third of 26 adventures that I will be sharing over the month of September. They are designed for use with edition 3.5 of the world’s most popular fantasy RPG, although they can be easily dropped into any fantasy setting (or modern/sci-fi setting with a little work). These posts are a part of Asshat Paladin’s OSR Short Adventure Challenge , and utilize his Get Ready, Get Set, Go! Format.