- The adventurers are hired by the Head Cook of a near-deserted stronghold to help rid their hearthroom of a troublesome pest. A fire elemental has developed a taste for the cook's Gnomish cuisine and has decided to take up residence.
- The Murdinkul Stronghold is nearly empty. The Chieftain and his warriors, as well as the resident cleric and warmage, are away in the South warring with the Tornpeace Orc Clan as part of an ancient grudge, leaving few in the stronghold capable of dealing with any significant threat.
Meanwhile, a juvenile fire elemental has heard that excellent food is to be found in the stronghold's hearthroom, run by the gnome Ranzemadge Lickspoon. The Lickspoon family is renknowned for their cooking. The fire elemental Odrotu has heard the stories and has been waiting for some time to experience the cuisine for himself. When he heard that the warriors and spellcasters had left the stronghold, he saw his chance.
Ranzemadge seeks out the adventurers for assistance in banishing Odrotu. The elemental is causing the food to be burned and/or ruined, not to mention damaging Ranzemadge's pride and reputation. There are no warriors or spellcasters left within the stronghold. Indeed, most of the warriors and spellcasters of any noticable talent traveled with the dwarves of the Murdinkul Stronghold to aid them in the grudge quest.
- The adventurers will be faced with ridding the stronghold of the elemental in any way possible. However, Ranzemadge will be watchful that no damage is done to the hearthroom. If any damage is done to the room or the supplies in the room, Ranzemadge will attack the adventurers, wiedling his massive wooden spoon as a club. The adventurers will then be faced with enemies on two fronts, one of which they cannot risk harming or killing, or they will surely face the wrath of the stronghold, the Clan, and the neighboring communities.
- Ranzemadge Lickspoon: Expert 3 (Cook); Neutral Good; Init -1; AC 11 (Padded); 10 hp; Saves: Fort +1, Ref +2, Will +3; Speed 20; Attack: Club +5 (1d6+1) or Crossbow, light +2 (1d6/19-20); Base Attack/Grapple: 2/-1; Abilities: Str 13, Dex 8, Con 11, Int 12, Wis 11, Chr 10; CR 2
- Odrotu: Fire Elemental, Large (CR 5) (See 3.5 Monster Manual p.99).
This is the fourth of 26 adventures that I will be sharing over the month of September. They are designed for use with edition 3.5 of the world’s most popular fantasy RPG, although they can be easily dropped into any fantasy setting (or modern/sci-fi setting with a little work). These posts are a part of Asshat Paladin’s OSR Short Adventure Challenge , and utilize his Get Ready, Get Set, Go! Format.