- In the ballroom of a deserted stronghold, the adventurers find more than they bargained for when they disturb an undead queen and her troupe of suitors.
- The adventurers find a heavy wooden door on the main floor of a stronghold. The door is locked (DC 25) and in fairly good condition, especially when compared to the partially rotten doors in the rest of the stronghold. If the adventurers pause to listen at the door, a DC 15 check will allow them to hear the soft sounds of a mandolin being strummed — badly — and the sound of feet shuffling.
- If and when the adventurers enter the room the will see a female dwarf “dancing” in the middle of a ballroom floor with a dwarven fighter. The male dwarf has a waraxe strapped to his back, while the female dwarf wears a heavy mace. Further examination of the room reveals a total of 5 dwarven fighters, the female dwarf, and a bard with a mandolin. The other 4 fighters are seated on one side of the room while the bard is on the opposite side. This door is the only door into the room.
These dwarves are undead — zombies. The female dwarf is obviously a dwarven queen by the crown on her head and the fighters are apparently her suitors. There are some scattered bones throughout the room; a close examination and a successful check reveal them to be dwarven. They are the remains of those members of the Court and Queen’s family who did not escape and who were slain by the zombie Queen and her undead suitors. The bard is also armed. The weapons and the bard’s mandolin are all in advanced stages of rot and rust. The clothes are tattered, worn, and stained. There is nothing of significant value apparent in the room.
Any attempt to interfere or touch any of the zombies in any way will cause them to attack the party. Any excessive noise will also draw the zombies’ attention to the players’ party and cause them to attack.
- Dancing Queen, Zombie: Dwarf Zombie Aristocrat 13; Neutral evil; Init +0; AC 11 Touch 10, Flatfooted 11; 82 hp; Saves: Fort +4, Ref +4, Will +11; Speed 20; Attack: Mace, heavy +11 (1d8+3 /19-20 x2); Base Attack/Grapple: 9/11; Abilities: Str 14, Dex 10; Con 0, Int 0, Wis 0, Chr 10; CR 6
- Queen’s Suitors, Zombies (5): Dwarf Zombie Fighter 10; Neutral evil; Init +0; AC 17 (Breastplate) Touch 10, Flatfooted 17; 86 hp; Saves: Fort +3, Ref +3, Will +10; Speed 20; Attack: Waraxe, Dwarven +16 (1d10+8 / 20 x3); Base Attack/Grapple: 10/14; Abilities: Str 19, Dex 11; Con 0, Int 0, Wis 10; Chr 10; CR 6
- Queen’s Bard: Dwarf Zombie Bard 10; Neutral evil; Init +1; AC 14 (Leather) Touch 11, Flatfooted 13; 76 hp; Saves: Fort +3, Ref +4, Will +10; Speed 20; Attack: Short sword +8 (1d6+1 / 19-20 x2); Base Attack/Grapple: 7/9; Abilities: Str 13, Dex 12; Con 0, Int 0, Wis 10; Chr 10; CR 5
This is the eleventh of 26 adventures that I will be sharing over the month of September. They are designed for use with edition 3.5 of the world’s most popular fantasy RPG, although they can be easily dropped into any fantasy setting (or modern/sci-fi setting with a little work). These posts are a part of Asshat Paladin’s OSR Short Adventure Challenge , and utilize his Get Ready, Get Set, Go! Format.