A place wherein this Dwarven Cleric can share his love of maps, dice, miniatures, and all things involving gaming and general geekery--not to mention the occasional witty non-gaming observations--whilst escaping from the humdrum existence of his routine Terran existence.

Hail and Well Met, fellow traveler! May my Stronghold provide a place for enlightenment and amusement, and somewhere to keep your dice dry. Enter and rest awhile.

18 April 2011

O is for Opening Doors

As some of you may know, I've been running a game for my rugrats.

And by "running" I mean off-and-on for over a year whenever we get around to it.

It's been a lot of fun--we've played into the wee morning hours in our trailer; we've played during power outages, we've played both with and without Dad using his laptop for DMing.

I've been using the dumbed-down version of 3.5 released as the "Basic Set" (the 2006 version). This box set contains an "introductory version" with miniatures, dice, and dungeon map tiles. It also contains a sheet of tokens representing doors, chests, treasure, etc.

The kids have loved it and I've enjoyed it as a cut-down version of the rules; it allows me, as DM, to implement and introduce additional rules and features of the game as we go.

One frustrating thing, though: as always, the Wizards of the Coast team do an amazingly bad job of consistent and intelligible detail.

That's a topic for another post, though.

Running the game on the fly--and adding in additional rooms, wandering monsters, encounters, etc.--has been frustrating in one main respect: doors.

I've needed an easy way to determine whether doors are open, locked, trapped, etc. because my brilliant daughter playing the rogue? She learned ONCE about traps...the hard way. Now she searches, examines, and dissects every chest and door they come upon.

Here is my solution: I have not play-tested it yet, but I plan to do so this weekend.















d10Door Status
1Locked & Trapped (High DC)
2:Locked & Trapped (Medium DC)
3:Unlocked, Trapped (High DC)
4:Unlocked, Trapped (Medium DC)
5:Locked (Medium DC)
6:Locked (High DC)
7:Unlocked, Jammed
8-9:Unlocked
10:Ajar

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...