A place wherein this Dwarven Cleric can share his love of maps, dice, miniatures, and all things involving gaming and general geekery--not to mention the occasional witty non-gaming observations--whilst escaping from the humdrum existence of his routine Terran existence.

Hail and Well Met, fellow traveler! May my Stronghold provide a place for enlightenment and amusement, and somewhere to keep your dice dry. Enter and rest awhile.

23 January 2014

Disease Name Table

I made my first dice purchase of the new year. A d30. I have a handful of d30s in my collection already and Heaven knows I don’t use them often enough to warrant another one. This one, however, caught my eye. It is, perhaps, the ugliest die I’ve seen. Certainly it rivals the ugliest in my collection, at any rate. It was so ugly it called out to me, asking me–nay, begging me–to pick him up and take him home. He was desperate to avoid the lengthy, lingering, rotting death most likely awaiting him in the “random” dice bin ignored and shunned by passers-by for years to come. Lest you think I’m exaggerating, I’ve attached a picture of the poor homely waif.
Now, did I lie?
In his honor I cobbled together a quick d30 table. I say “in his honor”–this is the truth. Based on his nauseating ugliness, the d30 table below is an aid to the sandbox DMs out there for creating disease names on the fly. It was a quickie, and admittedly, will create some fairly ridiculous results at times, but it beats sitting behind the screen resorting to “the Plague” once again when your players ask you what disease afflicts the sickening, deformed NPC on the street in front of them.

Just roll your d30 three times and combine the results. Feel free to share your favorites–or ideas for an expanded table–in the comments below.

Disease Table 1: Disease Name

d30 Roll
Initial Descriptor
Secondary Descriptor
Tertiary Descriptor
1
SeriousLimpingRot
2
TenderOilCrud
3
DepressedTinMold
4
ObeseCrackedDischarge
5
LethalFloweringPustule
6
HesitantSmokyCough
7
CreepingStretchedBoils
8
BloodyHairyVomit
9
FullSoupySnot
10
CrouchingSlipperySneezing
11
SharpRollingSlopes
12
MaliciousGrotesqueScourge
13
LanguidSpottedConsumption
14
CharmingSweepingScales
15
HushedCravenDeath
16
LushPaleShakes
17
ScreechingBrokenWeights
18
WretchedFieryCrack
19
MoaningStickyRays
20
DeepSnottyBlood
21
ConsciousTinyFlesh
22
MindlessMessyJelly
23
LittleLaughingStops
24
RampantFallingObstruction
25
ConfusedRedPox
26
FluffyWeepingRolls
27
SteadyGrippingWeakness
28
SloppyDryDysfunction
29
LazyGreyWarts
30
CloudyGlisteningMalaise

**Edited to add table name and number.**

3 comments:

New Big Dragon said...

Love it!

Gothridge Manor said...

This is great! I'm adding it to my campaign links page. Well done. And yes, that is one ugly die.

Digital Orc said...

Makes me think of Hunchback: "She gave me water." Kind of a pitiful little die, isn't it? At least you rescued him and put him in a good home. I wish I could say the same for all the hideous die I've seen over the years. Maybe Sarah McGlaughlin can do an info on them?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...