A place wherein this Dwarven Cleric can share his love of maps, dice, miniatures, and all things involving gaming and general geekery--not to mention the occasional witty non-gaming observations--whilst escaping from the humdrum existence of his routine Terran existence.

Hail and Well Met, fellow traveler! May my Stronghold provide a place for enlightenment and amusement, and somewhere to keep your dice dry. Enter and rest awhile.

22 August 2011

NPR's Top 100 Sci-Fi/Fantasy Books

I found this in a round-about way (HT to Sword and Board) as I think my eyes would bleed if I were forced to listen to NPR for more than 5 minutes. You can find a printable version of the list here. Apparently 60,000+ voted on this list; it's an interesting list.
NPR's Top 100 Fantasy/SF books
1. The Lord Of The Rings Trilogy, by J.R.R. Tolkien - I've read it numerous times; love it.
2. The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy, by Douglas Adams - I've read it numerous times; love it.
3. Ender's Game, by Orson Scott Card - I've read it numerous times; love it.
4. The Dune Chronicles, by Frank Herbert - I read Dune, tried to continue and couldn't.
5. A Song Of Ice And Fire Series, by George R. R. Martin - I'm reading Boook 3 now.
6. 1984, by George Orwell - I've read it numerous times.
7. Fahrenheit 451, by Ray Bradbury - I've read it numerous times.
8. The Foundation Trilogy, by Isaac Asimov - I've read it.
9. Brave New World, by Aldous Huxley - I've never read it; always intended to.
10. American Gods, by Neil Gaiman - I've read it; didn't care for it.
11. The Princess Bride, by William Goldman - I've read it numerous times; love it.
12. The Wheel Of Time Series, by Robert Jordan - I've read up through book 9, then stopped. Twice.
13. Animal Farm, by George Orwell - I've read it.
14. Neuromancer, by William Gibson - I've read it.
15. Watchmen, by Alan Moore - I've read it.
16. I, Robot, by Isaac Asimov - I've read it.
17. Stranger In A Strange Land, by Robert Heinlein - I've read it numerous times.
18. The Kingkiller Chronicles, by Patrick Rothfuss - I've read the first one, enjoyed it.
19. Slaughterhouse-Five, by Kurt Vonnegut - I've never read it; no interest.
20. Frankenstein, by Mary Shelley - I've read it numerous times; love it.
21. Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep?, by Philip K. Dick - I've read it.
22. The Handmaid's Tale, by Margaret Atwood - I've never read it; no interest.
23. The Dark Tower Series, by Stephen King - I've read up through Book 3; didn't care for it.
24. 2001: A Space Odyssey, by Arthur C. Clarke - I've read it.
25. The Stand, by Stephen King - I've read it numerous times; love it.
26. Snow Crash, by Neal Stephenson - I've never read it.
27. The Martian Chronicles, by Ray Bradbury - I've read it numerous times.
28. Cat's Cradle, by Kurt Vonnegut - I've never read it; no interest.
29. The Sandman Series, by Neil Gaiman - I've never read it.
30. A Clockwork Orange, by Anthony Burgess - I've never read it; no interest.
31. Starship Troopers, by Robert Heinlein - I've read it numerous times; love it.
32. Watership Down, by Richard Adams - I've read it.
33. Dragonflight, by Anne McCaffrey - I've read it numerous times.
34. The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress, by Robert Heinlein - I've read it numerous times.
35. A Canticle For Leibowitz, by Walter M. Miller - I've read it.
36. The Time Machine, by H.G. Wells - I've read it numerous times; enjoy it.
37. 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea, by Jules Verne - I've read it numerous times; enjoy it.
38. Flowers For Algernon, by Daniel Keys - I've read it several times; love it.
39. The War Of The Worlds, by H.G. Wells - I've read it several times; enjoy it
40. The Chronicles Of Amber, by Roger Zelazny - I've never read it, but want to do so.
41. The Belgariad, by David Eddings - I've read it several times. I do not think that it's his best work, however.
42. The Mists Of Avalon, by Marion Zimmer Bradley - I've read it.
43. The Mistborn Series, by Brandon Sanderson - I've read it; enjoyed it.
44. Ringworld, by Larry Niven - I've read it. enjoyed it.
45. The Left Hand Of Darkness, by Ursula K. LeGuin - I've never read it.
46. The Silmarillion, by J.R.R. Tolkien - I've read it.
47. The Once And Future King, by T.H. White - I've read it.
48. Neverwhere, by Neil Gaiman - I've never read it.
49. Childhood's End, by Arthur C. Clarke - I've never read it.
50. Contact, by Carl Sagan - I've read it.
51. The Hyperion Cantos, by Dan Simmons - I've read the first two books while studying for the Bar Exam. No interest in the rest of the series.
52. Stardust, by Neil Gaiman - I've never read it.
53. Cryptonomicon, by Neal Stephenson - I've never read it.
54. World War Z, by Max Brooks - I've never read it. I want to, however.
55. The Last Unicorn, by Peter S. Beagle - I've read it.
56. The Forever War, by Joe Haldeman - I've never read it.
57. Small Gods, by Terry Pratchett - I've never read it.
58. The Chronicles Of Thomas Covenant, The Unbeliever, by Stephen R. Donaldson - I've never read it, although I've attempted Book 1 several times.
59. The Vorkosigan Saga, by Lois McMaster Bujold - I've never read it.
60. Going Postal, by Terry Pratchett - I've never read it.
61. The Mote In God's Eye, by Larry Niven & Jerry Pournelle - I've read it.
62. The Sword Of Truth, by Terry Goodkind - I've read the first eight books; enjoyable
63. The Road, by Cormac McCarthy - I've never read it; no interest.
64. Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell, by Susanna Clarke - I've never read it.
65. I Am Legend, by Richard Matheson - I've never read it.
66. The Riftwar Saga, by Raymond E. Feist - I've read the first book (or first two, rather, depending on how you count--Magician).
67. The Shannara Trilogy, by Terry Brooks - I've read it.
68. The Conan The Barbarian Series, by R.E. Howard - I've read several.
69. The Farseer Trilogy, by Robin Hobb - I've slogged through it.
70. The Time Traveler's Wife, by Audrey Niffenegger - I've never read it.
71. The Way Of Kings, by Brandon Sanderson - I've never read it. Plan to do so.
72. A Journey To The Center Of The Earth, by Jules Verne - I've read it.
73. The Legend Of Drizzt Series, by R.A. Salvatore - I've read the first 11 Drizzt books. Not sure I could slog through any others.
74. Old Man's War, by John Scalzi - I've read it.
75. The Diamond Age, by Neil Stephenson - I've never read it.
76. Rendezvous With Rama, by Arthur C. Clarke - I've read it. Enjoyable.
77. The Kushiel's Legacy Series, by Jacqueline Carey - I've never read it.
78. The Dispossessed, by Ursula K. LeGuin - I've never read it.
79. Something Wicked This Way Comes, by Ray Bradbury - I've read it several times.
80. Wicked, by Gregory Maguire - I've never read it; no interest.
81. The Malazan Book Of The Fallen Series, by Steven Erikson - Read the first one; no interest in the others.
82. The Eyre Affair, by Jasper Fforde - I've never read it.
83. The Culture Series, by Iain M. Banks - I've never read it.
84. The Crystal Cave, by Mary Stewart - I've read it several times.
85. Anathem, by Neal Stephenson - I've never read it.
86. The Codex Alera Series, by Jim Butcher - I've read the first two.
87. The Book Of The New Sun, by Gene Wolfe - I've never read it.
88. The Thrawn Trilogy, by Timothy Zahn - I've read it several times.
89. The Outlander Series, by Diana Gabaldan - I've never read it.
90. The Elric Saga, by Michael Moorcock - I've read the first three.
91. The Illustrated Man, by Ray Bradbury - I've read it.
92. Sunshine, by Robin McKinley - I've never read it.
93. A Fire Upon The Deep, by Vernor Vinge - I've never read it.
94. The Caves Of Steel, by Isaac Asimov - I've read it.
95. The Mars Trilogy, by Kim Stanley Robinson - I've read the first two.
96. Lucifer's Hammer, by Larry Niven & Jerry Pournelle - I've read it several times.
97. Doomsday Book, by Connie Willis - I've never read it.
98. Perdido Street Station, by China Mieville - Slogged through it. Never again.
99. The Xanth Series, by Piers Anthony - I've read the first 16.
100. The Space Trilogy, by C.S. Lewis - I've read it.

Huh. Only 65%? It seems like it would be much higher. However, there's a bunch of stuff on there with which I disagree (Wicked? Really?) and there's a bunch of stuff missing that should be there (NO Fritz Leiber? Nothing at all?). All in all, though, an enlightening list. I'm printing it out and taking it with me to the library.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...