A place wherein this Dwarven Cleric can share his love of maps, dice, miniatures, and all things involving gaming and general geekery--not to mention the occasional witty non-gaming observations--whilst escaping from the humdrum existence of his routine Terran existence.

Hail and Well Met, fellow traveler! May my Stronghold provide a place for enlightenment and amusement, and somewhere to keep your dice dry. Enter and rest awhile.

22 April 2014

[A to Z April] R is for Read This Book!!

While flat on my back this weekend from an apparent case of either Con Crud or Food Allergy Attack, I read a great book that I picked up from a friend at Comic Con last week. I've had the occasion over the past few years at the Life, the Universe, and Everything (LTUE) writing symposium to become friends with author Dr. Michael Collings and his son, Michaelbrent Collings. I'd not had the available shekels to pick up one of Michaelbrent's books until this past week, when I dropped a few bucks and picked up the omnibus edition of his Colony series. (This contains the first three in the series, with #4 just out a few months ago.)

What grabbed me first was his father, who's written countless scholarly papers on horror and horror authors, telling me that "He lets you breathe around Chapter Two, and then not again until the last page." While you would likely expect a father to say positive things about a son's work, Dr. Collings is honest and down-to-earth, so I grabbed at it. The back-copy was what sold it to me, though.

FORGET EVERYTHING YOU THINK YOU KNOW ABOUT ZOMBIES. In under 10 minutes, 99.9% of the world's population will be dead… or changed. Conversion is instant. Headshots just make them angry. And they’re getting smarter.





For whatever reason--"Call it Fate. Call it Luck. Call it Karma." (with thanks to Dr. Venckman)--this little blurb got my adrenaline running. Once I picked up the book, I had it done in about 24 hours. It was unrelenting. Not just in the way every zombie story/movie is unrelenting, but these are zombies that LEARN. That can move in three dimensions to chase you.

Definitely a must-read. I'd recommend it to you all. You can get a copy at Amazon at the link above.


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Previous "R"s:
2013: R is for Rest
2012: R is for Rage Hawk (monster)
2011: R is for Real Life

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...